The latest statewide serial story by Mike Peterson, Illustrated by Christopher Baldwin
A brand new serial –
“When New York Was New”
Author Mike Peterson and Illustrator, Christopher Baldwin are again teaming up to create a brand new non-fiction serial for NYNPA members to share with teachers and students around the state. This eight-chapter, non-fiction serial will look at the early explorers and settlers of our state and their first contacts with the people who lived here. It will primarily focus on the 16th and 17th centuries, including figures such as Henry Hudson and Giovanni da Verrazzano in the south and Samuel de Champlain in the north, with discussion of the Iroquois Confederacy and how the coming of Europeans and the fur trade impacted the Haudenosaunee's existing conflict with other indigenous nations. The geographic, cultural and political formation of the state will also be covered, including the sorting out of Dutch, British and French claims and how -- beyond the natural borders of the Great Lakes, Lake Champlain and connecting rivers -- the borders of the state were established.
The story targets students in grades 4 through 8.
In addition to the series published in-print or posted online, the project includes the following components:
- A teachers’ guide with activities to enhance learning
- A “Meet the Author” Blog available to students and teachers for open discussion about each chapter as the story progresses.
- An MP3 audio pod cast of each chapter for use with younger, the blind or dyslexic students.
- Free Skype or virtual “Meet the Author” sessions to any participating school who requests it.
- A student poster contest with awards for up to 6 regional winners and matching award for the school library of each winner. This year’s contest theme: “The Importance of Voting, Leadership and Civic Participation in a Democratic Society”
With the Common Core State Standards and the emphasis of reading and analyzing non-fiction, this project will give educators perfect opportunities for collaborative learning and using technology while developing 21st Century skills. The story, illustrations and all project components are available FREE to any members of the New York News Publishers Association.
If you have any questions at all about this project or to sign up to participate please contact Mary Miller at email@example.com or call 518-449-1667 ext. 701 or download a copy of the newspaper agreement form. Non members are welcome to run the serial for a fee of $100. Please contact Mary to receive all documents.
Thank you to our generous sponsors for making this project such a success! This project was made possible through support of the New York Newspapers Foundation and by generous sponsorship of the New York State United Teachers.
More information about NIE
| Contacts by Town | Famous
New Yorkers | Free NIE Materials
Members | Awards for Excellence | Resources | Newsletter | Job Bank | Other Services | Contact Us
New York News Publishers Association, Inc.
(518) 449-1667 ph. - (518) 449-5053 fax